The history of Talbot Village

Most of the historic Village was built through the generosity of the two Talbot sisters Georgina Charlotte and Mary Anne, later known as Marianne, who divided their year between Surrey and Hinton Wood House on the East Cliff of Bournemouth with their family.  It was whilst living in Bournemouth that the Sisters discovered the many poor who were suffering in the region discovered the many poor who were suffering in the region.

history1Between them, they sought to employ many of the poor to clear land upon which they built Cottages – most of which were built between 1850 and 1862. The workers were allowed to stay in the Cottages and slowly, Talbot Village took shape.

The original cottages each were built on an acre of well-drained land, each with a well, a pig sty and fruit trees for which the residents were charge between 4 and 5 shillings per week. Georgina Talbot then had 7 almshouses built for the elderly and widowed.

To ensure the opportunity for regular worship in the village St Mark’s church was built and an extra house, but without the added acre, for the organist. A public house and shops were specifically excluded from the village, but the school was added in 1862 This originally had 68 children but has been extended many times over the years, in 1992 an extension increased the Schools capacity to 460 children.

St Marks School Historic Talbot VillageAlthough most of the original farms have long since been built upon, Highmoor Farm is still operating and White Farm served as stables until recently. Much of the original Village including the school, church, almshouses and cottages remain and are protected by a conservation order which is administered by the Talbot Village Trust – set up by the sisters. The Trust annually generates significant sums of money which are in turn donated to various educational and charitable schemes throughout Dorset – although regrettably none to the benefit of residents within the newer part of the Village itself !

Any developments within the confines of the historic part of the Village are required to be in keeping with the original designs. In contrast, there have been exciting and modern buildings constructed in the newer area south of Wallisdown Road, originally Vine Farm, that reflect the best of modern living.

In 1865 Georgina Talbot formed the village of Winton, based on Pine, Middle and Brassey Roads, she also contributed to the endowment fund for St Andrew’s church in Kinson.